Start a new topic

Setting up data on an Android phone

Summary

Products Affected

This articles explains how to set up data on your Android device.

Android, Data

To set up data on your Android device

images.jpeg

There are 2 main things you will need to set up on your mobile:

1. Internet settings

2. MMS settings

There are 2 main things you will need to set up on your mobile:

1. Internet settings

2. MMS settings

Below you will find both Internet settings and also MMS settings. You may need to refer to your mobile manufacturers website for a manual on how to change the settings but its often accessed as follows:

• Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

Internet Settings

To get internet work enter in the following settings:

• Name: Optus Yes Internet
  • APN: yesinternet
  • Username: leave as blank
  • Password: leave as blank
  • MCC: 505
  • MNC: 02
  • Auth Type: PAP
  • APN Type: internet

MMS Settings

To get MMS working enter in the following settings:

• Name: Optus MMS
  • APN: mms
  • Username: leave as blank
  • Password: leave as blank
  • MMSC: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/
  • MMS Proxy: 61.88.190.10
  • MMS Port: 8070
  • MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
  • MCC: 505
  • MNC: 02
  • Auth Type: PAP
  • APN Type: mms

Note: Your data speeds will vary depending on the signal strength and coverage.

I have the samsung gt-s5670 and it doesn't have the MMS Protocol line - and my MMS still aren't working, I also have two proxy and port lines, one is prefixed with MMS and the other simply by itself.if you could help me out please, i really need pictures !!!

At the bottom of Internet Settings is APN Type: Internet

This didn't work for me so I used Default and now I'm connected. See this link for optus:

http://ausdroid.net/apns/#optus

I have the HTC Wildfire and neither of the settings work for me. What else can I try?

There are a couple of other settings not mentioned above. What shoud I set them to?

On the internet settings there are  Proxy?   Port?   and  Server? 

Thanks Kevin Brook

I gather if it's not listed, leave it blank.

Ask on whirlpool forum http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=1867817

Thanks Steven I found the solution on the whirpool forum. I had to do a 'factory reset' which deleted all my apps, photos etc. (I saved contacts on the SD card) but 3G and Wi Fi both work now using the above settings. I'm not sure about MMS I haven't tested it yet. I think it was worth it. I'm gradually getting all my Apps back.

Thanks again 

Kevin Brook

I have a Samsung Galaxy Nexus
- I found that my internet worked as soon as my service was activated but then went back and changed the settings to match these - this DID NOT work for me and I had to search and find the default settings.

2 things that I changed back to make internet work:

Auth type: None.
APN type: default, supl

I have an HTC Desire HD and I can't get the internet to work. I've tried all the variations suggested above, but I haven't done a factory reset (would prefer not to). What do you suggest?

My Internet connection's fine, but I can't download MMSs - just shows "Downloading" and does nothing more.

Samsung Galaxy S II (i9100)

Hello there I do have a samsung Omnia II and the internet or mms do not work does anyone know how to do it thanks a lot

These settings did not work for me on an Android phone, similar to Steven Macerak.  Mine is an HTC Desire HD.  I've read a lot of the HTC phones do this and it is a problem that is difficult to diagnose because some things work and it depends on how you set it up precisely.  You have to combine both; take the internet settings and also fill out the MMS lines in the same APN and set the APN type to "Default".  I found this by changing the order of the APNs.  If the MMS APN was first only MMS would work, if the Internet APN is first then that works.  If you combine them into on APN _AND_ have the APN type set to "Default" then it work on this phone.  *BUT* after three months of this working, it has now stopped working, so I'm once again on the hunt to make this useless phone work once again.

None of these settings people have provided work for me. I finally found the option to reset back to default APN. The APN settings I have now are:

Name: Optus Internet

APN: yesinternet

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 505

MNC: 02

Authentication Type: Not set

APN type: default,hipri

Try that and see if it works.

I have Motorola quench and can't find mms protocol so I can enter wap 2.0 Any ideas? Anyone please

Can't get any help from LC other than a link to this help section.

I have a Galaxy Nexus S with ICS 4.04. I've tried all the suggestion above and still can't access any data. The area I am in is well covered by Optus 3G and this phone I believe supports Optus Dual Band (900 2100 frequencies).

Any help would be much appreciated.

I have a myTab.  Followed Steven Macerak advice and set APN type to default and it now works.

Login to post a comment