Start a new topic

Setting up data on an Android phone

Summary

Products Affected

This articles explains how to set up data on your Android device.

Android, Data

To set up data on your Android device

images.jpeg

There are 2 main things you will need to set up on your mobile:

1. Internet settings

2. MMS settings

There are 2 main things you will need to set up on your mobile:

1. Internet settings

2. MMS settings

Below you will find both Internet settings and also MMS settings. You may need to refer to your mobile manufacturers website for a manual on how to change the settings but its often accessed as follows:

• Settings > Wireless & Networks > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names

Internet Settings

To get internet work enter in the following settings:

• Name: Optus Yes Internet
  • APN: yesinternet
  • Username: leave as blank
  • Password: leave as blank
  • MCC: 505
  • MNC: 02
  • Auth Type: PAP
  • APN Type: internet

MMS Settings

To get MMS working enter in the following settings:

• Name: Optus MMS
  • APN: mms
  • MMSC: http://mmsc.optus.com.au:8002/
  • MMS Proxy: 61.88.190.10
  • MMS Port: 8070
  • MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0
  • APN Type: mms

Note: Your data speeds will vary depending on the signal strength and coverage.

I have the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and cannot send or receive MMS or SMS. Have sent in support ticket for help.

I have tried the default settings and the don't work. 

Let's see how long this takes to resolve.

Hi,

I bought an unlocked sony xperia tipo recently. It is a wonderful phone, but the internet does not work with live connected. I tested with other networks - works well with telstra and vodafone. I am well with in the optus 3G area and installed the suggested settings. It does not work. I tried all the above options as well. Still does not work. Can some one please help.

Thank you in advance.

For those people with HTC Velocity 4G, Richard Cole's setting as above works fine for me.

Internet was connected and switching between 3G and H.

For those with HTC Velocity 4G, I was able to get internet connection using Richard Cole settings, reproduced as below:

"Name: Optus Internet

APN: yesinternet

MMS Protocol: WAP 2.0

MCC: 505

MNC: 02

Authentication Type: Not set or None as in Velocity

APN type: default,hipri"

Thanks everyone!!

I have Samsung Galaxy S (Vibrant) which is unlocked phone from US. After I setup the internet as per above instructions, I get only G or Edge connection. I never could get 3G connection on this phone and wonder if Liveconnected supports 3G connection. Then I realized that my phone may not be compatible with Liveconnected 3G Band. Can anyone please help? As of now, I can use the internet but do not get 3G speed at all. Thanks in advance for the help.

I got it to work now. Thank you Rebecca!

I noticed you left the APN type as blank. I had it as "internet" and now have changed to "blank" and my internet is working :)

Thanks for everyones help!

I have a LG-P690f Android version 2.3.4, Build GRJ22, Sofware version V10c-SEP-29-2011

I bought the phone from Telstra with a prepaid sim and have unlocked the phone. I can use my optus sim for sms.

I followed the steps by creating a new APN for both internet and MMS and keyed in all the relevant info as stated in this article and the link provided in the second comment by Steven.

I selected the new Optus Yes Internet APN however the internet is not working. I even restarted my phone and still not working.

Can someone please help?

Thanks

THESE SETTINGS WORK FOR INTERNET ON HTC ONE XL STILL CANT GET MMS TO WORK

1. On the device, select Apps > Settings > Mobile networks > Access Point Names.
  2. Create a new Access point (Menu > New APN)and input the values listed below: -
    • Name : Optus WEB
    • APN : internet
  3. Enter the Username and Passwordlisted below. If no value is listed, leave the field blank.
    • Username:BLANK
    • Password:BLANK
  4. Set the APN type as default.
  5. Save the APN and, if necessary, select Access Point Names and tap the circle next to Optus WEB to set the profile as default.
  6. Return to the home screen.
  • HOPE THIS WORKS

I have a Motorola unlocked from USA and finally got it to work with:

Name: Optus Internet

APN: yesinternet

Proxy: not set

port: not set

Username: not set

password: not set

server: not set

MMSC: not set

MMS proxy: not set

MMS port: not set

MCC: 505

MNC: 02

Authentication type:  PAP

APN type: default

APN protocol: IPv4

I have a LG phone and finally got it to work with:

• Name: Optus Yes Internet
  • APN: yesinternet
  • APN Type: leave blank

i agree It should be noted somewhere in big letters that data does not happen at same time as voice. It would save alot of heartache.

I transferred to Live Connected from another Optus reseller. When the switch happened voice calls worked but no Data or SMS. I spent some time trying to sort it out before stumbling across a post somewhere that noted Data and SMS may take a while to start working after voice.

Sure enough about 24 hours after the switch SMS started working then a few hours later the 3G icon came up on phone and data started working. So if SMS and data do not work initially it may just be a matter of waiting since I tried everything else on this page without success.

Would be really good if LC made an obvious note about this "common" situation at the top of this support page, would save a lot of hassle.

Richard Cole's settings worked for my HTC Wildfire S and I now have internet access. Thanks very much Richard!

Richard Cole's settings worked for my HTC Wildfire S and I now have internet access. Thanks very much Richard!

I use default setting for my Moto M501, and restart the handset. Now it works.

I have a HTC Desire and Richard Cole's settings above worked for me.

Login to post a comment