Start a new topic

Setting up data on an old school smartphone

Summary

Products Affected

This articles explains how to set up data on your non iPhone/Android device.

Smartphones, Data

To set up data on your non iPhone/Android device

mobiledata_step1.jpg
  • Select "Optus Web" as your GPRS Internet Service
  • Enter in your mobile phone number, remember to drop the leading "0", for example for "0412123456", enter in +61412123456
  • Enter in the characters in the security measure section

mobiledata_step2.jpg

• Woo Hoo you're done. Remember to note down your PIN.
  • Sometimes it can take an hour for the SMS to arrive, if you haven't received it after this time try repeating the process.

Note: Your data speeds will vary depending on the signal strength and coverage. 

Setting up data manually

WAP SETTINGS 
HOMEPAGE: 
networker.optus.net.au/wap/index.wml 
BEARER: GPRS 

GPRS SETTINGS- 
APN: 
wap.optus.net.au 
USER ID: leave blank 
PASSWORD: leave blank 
PROXY SETTINGS- 
PROXY: on 
IP ADDRESS: 202.139.083.152 
PORT NO.: 8070 
DNS SETTINGS: leave blank 

MMS SETTINGS: 
HOMEPAGE: 
mmsc.optus.com.au:8002 
GPRS SETTINGS- 
APN: mms 
USERNAME: leave blank 
PASSWORD: leave blank 
PROXY SETTINGS- ON 
IP ADDRESS: 061.088.190.010 
PORT: 8070 
DNS: leave blank

Note: As there are many different handsets and we're not the provider of these handsets we may not have specific handset settings for your device.

The screenshots on this page must be out of date as they do not match what actually happens when you follow the link.  There is no SMS that gets sent, just instructions.

I followed the instructions and the internet was very slow and unreliable, so I fiddled with the settings to match the other settings on this page, now the internet doesn't work at all and for some reason when I delete my connection to Optus WEB, then try to put it in again, it says that that name is already in use.  This persists even though I deleted it and can no longer see it and have restarted my phone.  I am (unfortunately for me) using Windows Mobile 6.5.

My phone is a Samsung Jet (s8000) When I bought it, it was on a plan with THREE and the icon I use to go onto the internet is the THREE logo. I tried following the directions above but cannot seem to find a place to input all the data... Can you please-   1. let me know whether or not I can access the internet on my phone   2. give me step to step directions on how to get into the correct screen and then the places to put all the info.

I have already submitted this request and the answer given was less than useless. I hope the reply here will be more useful.

Login to post a comment